The Saint Louis University Research Institute is the newest addition to SLU’s research enterprise. The SLU Research Institute advances the university’s existing research growth ambitions to grow scholarship and research.
The SLU Research Institute will affirm the university’s path to become the world’s leading Jesuit research university.
The Research Institute provides critical funding to support outstanding researchers whose interests span the university. The video above celebrates the work of SLU faculty on one of the "Big Ideas," an area supported by the Research Institute.
Goals of Research Institute
Over the course of 10 years, the SLU Research Institute will set the university on the path to becoming a national and international model in promoting teaching, learning and research that exemplify discovery, transformative outcomes and engaged citizenship in a global society – as called for in the University’s strategic plan.
The SLU Research Institute will:
- Achieve and sustain annual research expenditure growth that places SLU among the fastest growing universities in the country
- Establish eminence in strategic, university-wide research priority areas
- Raise the profile and reputation of SLU as a world-class research university in the St. Louis area and around the world
- Recruit and retain world-class research leaders and provide significant investments in their work
- Leverage the initial gift from Dr. Jeanne Sinquefield and Rex Sinquefield to increase federal, industry, and philanthropic funding for research done at SLU
Past and Upcoming Events
Upcoming: The 21st-Century Geospatial Enterprise
April 9, 2019, in the Busch Student Center
Saint Louis University has been at the center of the nation’s geospatial enterprise since the Corps of Discovery returned to St. Louis with maps of the Louisiana Territory in 1806. “The 21st Century Geospatial Enterprise” is an upcoming conference that will bring together SLU faculty from various disciplines, industry partners and members of the intelligence community to inspire collaboration and shine a light on the innovative work being done in the region.
Past: SLU Summit on Food and the Environment
The SLU Summit on Food and the Environment highlighted ongoing research done at SLU aimed at addressing the global challenge of balancing food security and ecosystem security. The summit brought together faculty from various disciplines and industry and non-profit partners from across the region to address the question, “How will we feed a growing population, in a changing climate, in an equitable and sustainable way?”
SLU Research in the Media
- SLU’s Allison Miller Appointed to Joint Position with Danforth Plant Science Center
- President Pestello Discusses Research Goals with the Chronicle
- SLU’s Gina Yosten Aims to Find Solutions for Diabetes Patients
- SLU Research Announced Big Ideas Grant Winners
- SLU Family Medicine Departments Ranks in Top 20 in NIH Funding